Sunday, August 26, 2012

RAILWAY STATION, MATTAWA, ONTARIO

Yesterday, together with  my friends Dan and John, we decided to make a little photo excursion to the town of Mattawa. This small community is situated on the Ottawa and Mattawa rivers and in earlier days was quite an important in the early history of the fur trade in Canada. The town is quite picturesque and at one time had a very busy railway station, which is in such a poor deplorable state of neglect that I think this historical building will certainly disappear in the next few years. I decided to use black and white images to show very sad state of this once important station. 

1 comment:

Karen said...

We were at the cottage north of Mattawa this past week. While we were out fishing, we heard a long heavy freight train rumbling nearby. On our way home, we passed through the town of Deep River. Just south of there, we saw them pulling track behind the train alongside Hwy17. I got thinking that that freight train might be the last one I hear in my lifetime. Just heard that Ontario Northland is ceasing operations to Cochrane. First the old train stations go, now the tracks. It's the end of an era my friend.