Wednesday, April 29, 2020

CITY SCAPE, MONTREAL, PQ


We are going through some strange times and are housebound of course like nearly everyone else. This is a good time to go through all my books and discovering the work of photographers, which over time I simply lost. One of the photographers I rediscovered is the Italian photographer Gianni Pezzani. Looking at his beautiful hand coloured black and white images. Remembering my own time working in the darkroom. Much of the digital photography is technically superb of course but most of it looks the same and I long for the time when photography was more innovative than what we see today. Of course there are some very creative photographers who have created great work using the computer so I should not generalize of course. 


4 comments:

David Ernest said...

Some very interesting and valid points, Mike

John Minkowskyj said...

Defying the rule of thirds. It always works with a square crop.
It's hard to believe this photo was taken when it was, it seems like it was created recently using all the apps that you can download online. But these apps were created using the fundamental treatments used by photographers in the 'darkroom'. Sometimes I miss the darkroom because you can never reproduce the exact same effect, twice. You can try but a second here and a second there and the effect may be similar but not the same

John Minkowskyj said...

On visiting Gianni Pezzani website I found "Mouches a lire" to be very humorous,
"Brescia dorme", "Parma dorme" to absolutely great nighttime street photography.
"Margini, viaggio senza ritormo" grunge photography at it's best, similar to some of the effects you've produced on your ipad.

Mike de Moree said...

I agree with you John, The photography of Pezzani intrigue me. When I look at his photographs and seeing his very graphic approach, I miss that kind of very personal view in much of the digital images. There are quite a few people who work with a variety of techniques but, while very interesting, become more photo illustrators than straight photographers. Again just my very personal viewpoint.